This study guide examines the concept of “cherishing your spouse.” We’ll look at scripture based advice and tips for guys found in Ephesians 4:1-6, Isaiah 2:11, Chronicles 7:14, Matthew 27:17, and Romans 12:3.
Message from Marsh: “May your personal walk with the Lord lead you to be transformed, renewed and blessed.”
Thank you for coming to: mensgroup.org
Cherishing Your Spouse
Scripture based Bible Study
(www.mensgroup.org – “Original Study”)
PRAY: A one or two sentence opening prayer to invite God to connect with members of a Small Group in seeking Him through his Word.
Lord, our prayer is that you help us to truly cherish our wives and that you teach us what it means to put our wives on a, "Faith Supported Pedestal". We need your Divine support to transform us to insure our wives will always feel loved and safe.
Scripture Reference (1 John 4:8) says, “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.”
The basis of loving and cherishing our wives is God's love for us. God's love for us is infinite and eternal. We should love our wives as God loves us.
Do you agree we should love our wives as God loves us? Why?
What are some practical words or phrases that reflect what it actually means to cherish your wife? (e.g. “to make her feel safe,” “to put her needs above your own,” “to nourish her”)
Why don’t men cherish their wives and make them feel loved?
Does your wife feel cherished, loved and safe? Does she feel a little less so now than when you were first married?
As if you didn't know it, God created men and women very differently. Normally, a man needs “Divine intervention” to help him understand his wife’s needs, really listen to her, support her and above all, how to make her feel loved and cherished. (Love is a complex word in the Bible as there are four distinct types expressed in Scripture; “Storge” love, “Eros” love, “Philia” love and “Agape” love. At this point the group might want to complete a side study on the topic of Love in Scripture.)
In Ephesians 5:25 it says, “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” Ephesians 5:28 says, “In this same way , husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.” Did you know this is what Scripture says about loving our wives? How do you feel about this?
One or two questions to make Small Group Members pause and consider how the passages above apply to their lives.
1. Do you love your wife as God calls us to do? Do you believe we are called to lay down our lives for our wives?
2. Who is key to a long and blessed marriage? The man, the women or both?
An “application challenge” for the reader and Small Group Members to put into practice this day or week.
This next week, I will make an extra effort to let my wife know how much I love her. Although this may be out of my comfort zone, every day I will try to:
· Tell her daily how much I love her
· Give her a light touch to feel my love
· Write a short love note (remember, “it's the thought that counts,” she will love you just for trying)
· Surprise her and do something unexpected and appreciative
· Pray with her
Frequently, men struggle in figuring out how to cherish their wives. It is not that men don’t want to cherish their wives, they have trouble grasping what it actually means to love and cherish them.
Men have a tendency to compartmentalize their lives (Work, Sports, Buddies, Family, Church) and often interact with their wives in the same way. Frequently, men struggle with being more than surface deep with their wives.
We will pray daily for wisdom in truly loving and cherishing our wives as God intends us to do. You may say your own prayer or use the “Suggested Closing Prayer” at the end of this study.
DISCIPLESHIP STUDY QUESTIONS:
Three discussion questions based on Scripture.
1. Genesis 2:24 says, “That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.” Genesis 38:2 says, “There Judah met the daughter of a Canaanite man named Shua. He married her and made love to her.”Did you know that in the Bible “love to her” appears 34 times, “made love” 32 times and “one flesh” 22 times? What do these Scriptures tell you about the sanctity of marriage and sex?
2. Malachi 2:14 says, “You ask, ‘Why?’ It is because the Lord is the witness between you and the wife of your youth. You have been unfaithful to her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant.” Do know there are many ways to be unfaithful to your wife? There are many ways NOT to “cherish” your “wife.” Do you gaze at other women too long, look at pornography or covet someone else’s wife or girlfriend?
3. We have studied verses in Ephesians, but it is really important to understand this entire Scripture as related to our wives and the church. Read Ephesians 5:21-33. Key verse Ephesians 5:23 says, “For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.” What does this verse tell you regarding how to cherish your wife? What hints do you get from this Scripture on how to live our lives as Christ followers and how to interact with our wives on a deep, more personal level ? Does this verse mean we are to control, direct or lord over our wives?
SUGGESTED CLOSING PRAYER:
Lord, please help each of us to become more like you and reflect your love with our wives. Give us wisdom to become more like the man you intend us to be and the husband you describe so clearly in Scripture.
All our Blessings,
Men’s Group Foundation, Inc.
(A mensgroup.org - “Original Study”)
click the button below for A “PRINTER FRIENDLY” PDF OF this free study
Join our email list to stay in touch!
Get notified of updates such as when new studies are added.
Stay “in the know” about book giveaways (and other prizes).
We hate spam and will never sell or share your email address.